On this page:
This chapter describes Simplify configuration that can be performed on the MX PIN Pad.
All of the configuration described in this chapter can be performed using the Elavon Main Menu.
The following Ethernet parameters can also be configured by logging into Verifone System Mode with Supervisor rights:
- IP address of the PIN Pad
System Mode should not be used to modify other configuration settings.
Elavon Main Menu
As described below, the Elavon Main Menu can be accessed during bootup. This menu provides access (read-only in some cases) to the following parameter groups and functions:
- Network Setup
- Host Setup
- POS Setup
- Reset Database
Enabling configuration changes is described at the end of this page.
- The Reset Database function on the Elavon Main Menu should not be used without consulting Elavon.
- Unless stated otherwise, screenshots shown below are taken from the MX915.
- All values shown on this page are samples. Contact your network administrator for the values required on your system.
Accessing the Elavon Main Menu
Start the Verifone application and wait until a button (Config in rectangle) appears in the lower right corner of the screen (Fig. 2).
Once Config appears, press this rectangle or the Enter (green) key to display the Select a Function screen (Fig. 3). This screen can be accessed whenever the above rectangle is displayed during the boot up sequence.
The Restart, Clear Locator Values and Resume functions on this screen are discussed under Select a Function in Configuration.
Select Elavon Main Menu to display the login screen for this menu (Fig. 4).
Use the login screen to type in the Elavon password. The Elavon Main Menu will display (Fig.5).error_outline
Contact your Elavon representative for the password.
To display a Setup screen, select the item from the Elavon Main Menu. An item can be selected by touching the item or by pressing the DOWN (and UP) buttons to highlight the item and then pressing SELECT.
The UP, DOWN and SELECT buttons work the same on all Elavon Main Menu screens containing these buttons.
The EXIT button on the Elavon Main Menu can be used to reboot the PIN Pad. After pressing this button, you will be asked for confirmation.
Simplify supports Ethernet as the network type. Ethernet communications on Verifone PIN Pads can be configured using the Network Setup menu.
To Access Network Setup:
Select Network Setup on the Elavon Main Menu to display the following menu.
- dhcp - View/modify whether DHCP is enable/disabled. Set by Elavon prior to shipping Simplify, based on the customer’s network requirements. Controls how Network Setup parameters are defined:
- If set to 1: DHCP will be enabled (IP mode = DHCP). The values of other Network Setup parameters will be defined by the DHCP server and read-only under Network Setup.
- If set to 0: DHCP will be disabled (IP mode = Static). The values of other Network Setup parameters will be displayed under Network Setup and available for editing.
- eth0 - View IP Address (and modify if allowed). Must be unique value; cannot be shared with anything else on the network.
- netmask - View Netmask (and modify if allowed).
- gateway - View Gateway (and modify if allowed).
- dns1 - View primary DNS server address (and modify if allowed). If eth0 is defined as a symbolic name, dns1 must be defined.
- dns2 - View secondary DNS server address (and modify if allowed). Backup for dns1.
The Host Setup menu displays the current values of parameters required for host communications. All parameters shown on this menu are read-only. This menu can be used as follows:
To Access Host Setup:
Select Host Setup on the Elavon Main Menu to display the following menu.
HIPSTR - IP address of the Fusebox gateway.
HPORT - Fusebox port that communicates with Simplify.
EncryptionType - Encryption method used for communications with Fusebox. V1 = Elm
The POS Setup menu displays/defines parameters required for Simplify-POS communications and other POS-related parameters. All parameters except for Source are read-only. To use this menu:
To Access POS Setup:
Select POS Setup on the Elavon Main Menu to display the POS Setup menu.
Do not modify SSL Active and SSL Method without consulting Elavon.
- Source - View/Modify communications type (0=RS232 Visa2; 1=RS232 FB; 2= TCP/IP; 3=Server TCP/IP). Note that the Server TCP/IP selection (Source = 3) is for future use.
- Server Port - View the port ID used for Simplify-POS communications.
- SSL Active - View whether or not Simplify-POS communications are encrypted. (0 = No encryption, 1 = Encryption)
- SSL Method - View encryption type used for Simplify-POS communications. (1=SSLv2; 2=SSLv3; 3=TLSv1; 4=SSLv23; 5=TLSv1.1; 6=TLSv1.2)
Select a Function
As described under Accessing the Elavon Main Menu, the Select a Function screen (Fig. 9, same as Fig. 3) can be accessed when a Config rectangle appears in the lower right corner of the screen during boot up. This screen provides access the Elavon Main Menu functions described on preceding pages.
This screen also provides access to the following functions:
- Restart – This button can be used to restart the application (cold reboot).
- Clear Locator Values – This button can be used to clear locator values (Terminal ID, Location Name, Chain Code). This will force the PIN Pad to be re-registered the next time it attempts to process a transaction (see under Elm Registration Process in Troubleshooting for details). After pressing this button, you will be asked for confirmation.
- Pressing No on this screen will re-display the Select a Function screen.
- Pressing Yes will delete the locator values. The message “Clearing Locator Values” will be displayed. When done, the Select a Function screen will be re-displayed.
- Resume – This button can be used to reboot the PIN Pad (warm reboot, same as power-cycling). After pressing this button, you will be asked for confirmation.
Enabling Configuration Changes
Configuration changes made under the Elavon Main Menu can be enabled as follows:
From any Elavon setup menu, press Exit to return to the Elavon Main Menu.
Select Restart on the Elavon Main Menu to restart the PIN pad application.
Allow the application to run until completion. The Idle screen will display.
Verifone System Menu
The following network (Ethernet) parameters can be configured in Verifone System Mode under Network:
- IP address of the PIN Pad
These parameters can be configuring by logging into Verifone System Mode with Supervisor rights. Verifone System Mode should not be used to modify configuration settings other than those described below.
To log in to Verifone system mode:
Start the Simplify application. The following initialization screen will be displayed (Fig. 10, same as Fig. 2). Note that the Config button may not appear immediately.
When the Initialization screen appears (Fig. 10), you can press the keys 159 on the PIN Pad to display the login screen for system mode (Fig. 11). These three keys must all be pressed at the same time.error_outline
This keying sequence can also be used to access Verifone system login after initialization,provided that the PIN Pad is in a Closed state.
Use the login screen to type in a system password with Supervisor rights. Contact your Elavon representative for the password. Then press the Enter (green) key. This will log the user into system mode and display the Home screen (Fig. 12).error_outline
Access to Supervisor login should only be allowed when required for a specific reason.
Tabs on the Home screen (Fig. 12) allow the user to perform various administrative tasks. This screen can also be used to run the Simplify application (Run App) or restart the PIN Pad (Reboot).
The Verifone system login screen (Fig. 11) can also be used to run the application. Start by pressing the X (red) key on the PIN Pad when at this screen. This will display the following screen:
Key 1 on the PIN Pad to Run the Application. An “Application Started” message will be displayed, followed by the Initialization screen (Fig. 10) and then by the Idle screen.
Simplify supports Ethernet as the network type. IP Address, Netmask and Gateway can be defined in Verifone System Mode. Verifone System Mode should not be used to modify other configuration settings.
Note on navigation: the top line of the display can be used to move around in System Mode.
To Access Ethernet Configuration
From the Home screen under Verifone System Mode (Fig. 12), select the Administration tab.
From the Administration screen, select the Communication tab.
From the Communication screen, select Network. This will display a screen showing current Network configuration (Fig. 14). The network type will be Ethernet.
To perform Ethernet configuration, press the Ethernet tab on the Network screen to display a scrolling list of parameters (Fig. 15). Selecting a pencil icon will display a popup configuration window for the corresponding parameter.
Note for data entry: A dot will be automatically added after each set of three digits entered. If any part of the address consists of only one or two digits, you must use leading zeroes to make it three digits. E.g. enter 10.164.241.131 as 010164241131.
- IP Address - The IP address of the PIN Pad.
- Netmask - The Netmask of the PIN Pad.
- Gateway - The Gateway of the PIN Pad.